Thursday, April 1, 2010

Magic Tricks

A week or so ago our ward put on a talent show. (For those of you not familiar with LDS church lingo, "ward" is the term we use for the congregation we meet with each Sunday) At the Talent show there were 2 different magic acts. The first was a pretty high tech home video of the 3 and 5 year olds making things disappear and turn into different objects. Isaac was pretty convinced. Days after he was still perplexed why they would turn their baby sister into jelly, they turned her back of course, but he just couldn't get it.

The second was a 4 year old boy who did a magic trick while his dad narrated it. Here was the trick:
He had a large gift bag. Out of the bag he pulled a stuffed rabbit. His trick was turning the rabbit into a blue ball. First he put the rabbit into the gift bag. Then he pulled out a blue ball. my 3 year old was facinated! He kept asking, "Mom, when is he going to turn the ball back into a rabbit?"

He has a very logical mind and really desired to know how these magic tricks worked. He was pretty convinced that those things could really happen as he saw them. After 2 weeks of Zach and I explaining the tricks and how they worked, and even trying a demonstration or two, I think he finally understands that it was just a trick.

Just yesterday, #2 came up with his own magic trick. We have a play cell phone that changes the picture when you open it. It goes in order: cat, dog, mouse. Here is how his magic trick went:
"Mom, look at my magic trick. Watch! I am going to turn this cat into a dog."
He closed the phone and opened it up again, low and behold it was a dog.
"Now I am going to turn this cat into a blue mouse!"
He closed the phone and opened it again and it was a blue mouse!
"Now I am going to turn it back into a cat again!"
He opened the phone and closed it, and it was a picture of a cat!

Pretty good magic Buddy.

I remember being fascinated by magic tricks when I was a kid. My dad would pretend to make the wipers on his car go by saying a magic word. He got it everytime! I was pretty convinced up until I learned to drive a car. I couldn't figure out how he did it with no hands.

1 comment:

beckyallen5 said...

Rob has told me time and again about the wipers and your Dad... now he does it with our kids! Thanks for the fun story! I am sure Rob will try a few magic tricks when we see Isaac in a few weeks! Cannot wait! Love Becky